With the market demand, UPS uninterruptible power supply is widely used in various industries, UPS battery has become an important part of this system, no battery UPS can only be called voltage stabilized frequency power supply. The quality of the battery is directly related to the reliability of the whole UPS system. No matter how advanced the UPS design is and how well the functions are available, once the battery fails, no good UPS can provide uninterrupted power supply.
The Powerware UPS system, most of the valve controlled sealed maintenance free battery. The "maintenance free" as mentioned here is only in comparison with the ordinary storage battery, the use of pure water or distilled water and the adjustment of the liquid level of the electrolyte are eliminated, and all maintenance work is not removed. On the contrary, in order to realize the uninterrupted power supply of UPS, we need to maintain and maintain the maintenance free battery of lead-acid battery more carefully. The following describes the battery testing and routine maintenance should pay attention to matters.
There is a special battery measuring instrument for the quality of the battery, but few users in general have only one multimeter. The following points in the maintenance of the battery to determine the quality of a summary, for reference.
(1) judging from the appearance: observe the appearance of oil stain, deformation, bulging, leakage, rupture, explosion, burning, and the presence of oxide at the screw joint.
(2) the load measurement: if no abnormal appearance, load UPS work in battery mode, with a certain amount, if the discharge time was significantly shorter than the normal discharge time after charging for 8 hours, standby time is not normal, determine the battery aging.
(3) measure with a multimeter
A. battery discharge mode measurement: measure each battery terminal voltage in the battery pack, if one or more battery terminal voltage is obviously higher than or lower than the nominal voltage (nominal voltage 12V/ section), determine the battery aging.
In B. mode, the charging voltage of each battery end in the battery group is measured. If the charging voltage of one or more batteries is obviously higher than or lower than other voltage, the battery aging is decided.
The total voltage of C. battery test: total battery voltage is significantly lower than the nominal value, after charging for 8 hours is not restored to the normal level, even if the return to normal, the discharge time is not up to the normal discharge time, determine the battery aging.
D. battery power measurement; UPS does not boot, not connected with the power first, the multimeter is used to measure the total voltage of battery is in the rated range, 2 don't leave, has been pegged to the multimeter's instructions, and then the power button, if the battery voltage drops below the protection value of total immediately following UPS or even lower. Immediately after the automatic shutdown, shutdown voltage immediately restored to the original value. Determine battery aging.
(1) the environmental temperature has a great influence on the battery. Ambient temperature is too high, will affect the battery life; environmental temperature is too low, will reduce the capacity of the battery. It is recommended that the battery be used at +5 DEG C -30 DEG C (preferably 25 DEG C) under temperature conditions.
(2) different brands, different capacity, different old and new batteries are strictly forbidden to be mixed;
(3) batteries should be installed in clean, cool, ventilated and dry place as much as possible. Avoid the influence of sunlight, heaters or other radiant heat sources.
(4) the battery in the storage, transportation and installation process, because of self discharge and lose some capacity, therefore, after installation and use, should be based on the open circuit voltage to determine the residual capacity of battery, and battery charging.
(5) UPS in the operation process, should pay attention to monitoring the battery terminal voltage value, current value, floating charge voltage of each battery, battery and DC bus of low resistance and insulation condition.
(6) the battery should be recharged in time after discharge, and the discharged battery is not enough, which will lead to lower battery capacity and even damage, so it is necessary to configure the appropriate charger;
(7) proper discharge will contribute to the activation of the battery. For example, if the electricity is not stopped for a long time, the battery should be discharged manually, 2-4 times a year. The existing load can be discharged, and the time is 1/4-1/3 reserve time;
(8) the deeper the discharge depth is, the less the number of cycles used, and the deep discharge should be avoided when using the battery. If the UPS is in light load discharge or no load discharge, it will also cause deep discharge of the battery.
(9) the long-term use of the battery should be charged after storage, and every six months to run the battery charge and discharge time of the battery, usually floating 4-10 hours. And work in battery inverter for 2-3 minutes.
Understanding and clearly understanding the main factors affecting the service life of lead-acid batteries and the matters needing attention in the process of using, are of great help to the correct use and maintenance of lead-acid batteries in the ups system. I hope everyone can use and maintain the lead-acid battery properly in daily work, so that it can be more reasonable use.